MLS Laser Therapy: Cutting Edge Treatment for Pain and Inflammation
Howard County Veterinary Service is thrilled to announce a new treatment available for dogs, cats, and horses. MLS laser therapy is an effective, proven, pain free treatment for conditions such as arthritis, hip dysplasia, wounds, joint and disc disease, ear inflammation, sprains, strains, and post-operative inflammation and pain control.
This comfortable, safe technology uses specific wavelengths that quickly reduce pain and swelling to the areas that are exposed to the laser. There are no known negative side effects, and most patients see positive results in 1 to 3 treatments. Swelling is greatly reduced, and there is rapid relief of pain and increased mobility. It is the same technology that has been used in human medicine for 50 years.
10 Benefits of Laser Therapy:
1. Anti-Inflammatory: MLS Laser Therapy has an anti-swelling effect as it causes blood vessels to dilate. It also activates the lymphatic drainage system, which drains swollen areas. As a result, there is a reduction in swelling caused by bruising and inflammation.
2. Analgesic (pain relief): MLS Laser Therapy has a beneficial effect on nerve cells. It blocks pain transmitted by these cells to the brain, which decreases nerve sensitivity. Another pain blocking mechanism involves the production of high levels of pain killing chemicals such as endorphins and enkephalin from the brain and adrenal gland.
3. Accelerated Tissue Repair and Cell Growth: Light photons from the laser penetrate deeply into tissue and accelerate cellular reproduction and growth. The laser light increases the energy available to the cell so the cell can take on nutrients faster and get rid of waste products. In other words, damaged cells are repaired faster as a result of exposure to laser light.
4. Improved Vascular Activity (blood flow): Laser light will significantly increase the formation of new capillaries in damaged tissue, which speeds up the healing process, closes wounds quickly, and reduces scar tissue. Additional benefits include acceleration of angiogenesis, which causes temporary dilation of the blood vessels.
5. Increases Metabolic Activity: MLS Laser Therapy creates higher outputs of specific enzymes, greater oxygen, and food particle loads for blood cells.
6. Trigger Points and Acupuncture Points: The laser triggers muscle trigger points and acupuncture points in a non-invasive way, providing musculoskeltal pain relief.
7. Reduced Fibrous Tissue Formation: MLS Laser Therapy reduces the formation of scar tissue following damage from cuts, scratches, burns, or surgery.
8. Improved Nerve Function: Slow recovery of nerve functions in damaged tissue can result in numbness and impaired limbs. Laser light speeds the process of nerve cell reconnection and increases the amplitude of action potentials to optimize muscle healing.
9. Immunoregulation: Laser light has a direct effect on immunity status by stimulating immunoglobulins and lymphocytes. Upon exposure to the laser, an enzyme is activated and starts production of ATP (adenosine-triphosphate), which is the major carrier of cell energy and the energy source for all chemical reactions in cells.
10. Faster Wound Healing: Laser light stimulates fibroblast development in damaged tissues. Fibroblasts are the building blocks of collagen, which is the essential protein required to replace old tissue or to repair tissue injuries. As a result, MLS Laser Therapy is effective post surgically and in the treatment of open wounds and burns.
As you can see, MLS Laser Therapy is an excellent, non-invasive treatment for pain or inflammation. It can be an alternative for dogs on chronic pain medications, which can have negative side effects. Number of treatments vary by condition, and treatments are very affordable starting at only $35! If you think your dog, cat, or horse could benefit from laser therapy, please contact us! We will be happy to answer your questions!